View Single Post
Old 31st August 2008, 16:27
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: German & Allied radar

Hello Crumpp

Quote:” Juha, I think you are thinking of the old system the RAF used. That system was changed before the battle and was modified again after or during the battle depending on whose dates you use.”

No, I’m thinking of the system used during the BoB, badly damaged a/c were of course exchanged for new/repaired aircraft and even more lightly damaged if the sqn’s own maintenance and repair organisation was unable to cope.

Quote:” In December 1940, it was decided to transfer the bulk of the squadrons' servicing personnel to station maintenance units, significantly increasing the mobility of the Fighter Command squadrons…”

From your own quote, the second change was made after the BoB.

Quote: “It was common for squadrons to make multiple sorties from early in the morning on. By the morning status, some squadrons were embarking on their second combat of the day. Battle is a dynamic state while the status is frozen in time.”

Now the earlier morning of 15th Sept had been quiet apart some LW recon flights, that’s according to Price, I don’t have any original ORBs on that day or maybe that of 603 but have not time to go through my copies. Anyway LW was preparing for their big attacks on London. And the first FC loss happened at 11.40 am.

Juha