View Single Post
Old 12th March 2005, 21:26
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Nifty .50s
The question is when the arrengement was done.
Spring 1943.
May is in Spring I think.

Quote:
Only because the RAF wanted to direct attention away from their own excessive pilot claims.
In 1941, RAF fighter pilots inflated shootdowns by almost 10:1.
That is an interesting figure, can you prove it?

Quote:
That habit was hard to break. On August 23rd 1944, 'Johnnie' Johnson's 127 Wing engaged JG 26 and JG 11 -- the RAF pilots claimed twelve fighters shot down, but my source states the Germans did not lose a single aircraft in those combats. This Spitfire Wing was not an inexperienced outfit, so there was no excuse for their nonsense. In general, one has to question the veracity of RAF evaluation methods for pilot claims -- and those of the Wing Leader, Mr. 40-Victory-Ace.
Well, considering the German records are far from complete and accurate for the period it would be no wonder. Nonetheless I see losses by both units mentioned plus JG2 on that day that possibly could be linked to this combat. By the way, Johnnie Johnson's record was 34+7 destroyed, 3+4 probable and 10+3 damaged. Did you not confuse him with an another well known US ace?

Quote:
"...In February 1941, deliveries of the Spitfire Mk V had begun[...]In Britain nobody had yet been able to analyse the effect of cannon fire when aircraft strafed ground forces.
I have to check what I have on this incident.

Quote:
Did Livesley or his mates bounce these Mustangs first?
Why such asumption?

Quote:
Is that all, Franek?
No.

Quote:
You forgot the Allied planes shot down by RAF pilots. (My list has over 100 destroyed or damaged). You did list Franks as a source; surely you must know about some of these?
At what period? I have some hundreds of incidents involving aircraft, artillery or own bombs and guns. For the period in which mentioned incidents occured there were few RAF incidents but there were also some USAAF incidents I did not mention.

Quote:
Anyway I've found several hundred friendly fire incidents caused by the RAF and other British military units (sometimes they did hit the target). Far too many cases to paste in here, but someday I will post all findings and sources on a Web site. The most enlightening data came from Allied flyers, soldiers, and sailors -- in reference to the number of times they were attacked by the RAF or British anti-aircraft batteries.
Was Preddy downed by Britts as well?

Quote:
Well RAF flyers managed to do this in just three months:
Yes, and they downed about 1200 German aircraft at the same time. Not a bad record. Otherwise the list is not complete nor entirely accurate. Eg. Hurricane P3209 was actually V7209 and damaged not shot down.

Quote:
During test flights over the UK, a prototype clipped-wing Spitfire was painted bright yellow -- good idea because, as predicted, RAF pilots often attacked the camouflaged kind.
? Which one and when?

Quote:
No other measures taken, eh? Some RAF planes had a solid white stripe wrapped around the fuselage.
It was Sky and introduced together with Sky spinner.

Quote:
RAF fighters in the Far East eventually had their roundels reduced in size because they looked uncomfortably similar to Japanese roundels.
Roundels in the Far East had their red circles removed not reduced and I cannot imagine how they could have been similar to Japanese suns.
Another issue is that apparently you believe US did not modify their markings this way.

Quote:
I know a measure the RAF should have taken, but didn't. Tell us how many planes with a natural metal finish were shot down by aimed fire from Allied pilots.
I have a couple of Mustangs downed by the other Mustangs, one of them crashed near Warsaw. I cannot give even an approximate number as I have not researched the period. Nonetheless silver 'camouflage' was generally considered an disadvantage - RAF considered it but found it not worth of effort.

Quote:
RAF squadrons have not shot down an enemy plane since World War II -- but they have shot down some RAF planes since then.
Is it deliberate? Of course RAF scored victories post WWII though not in numbers - they were simply not involved in such wars.

Quote:
In 2003, there was at least two friendly fire accidents involving British Challenger tanks in Southern Iraq. One Challenger II was destroyed and according to a BBC news report, the turret was torn off the hull when hit by gunfire from another British tank. During the 1991 Gulf War there were no less than three similar cases. In one, a Challenger I destroyed a British APC and damaged another.
OK, so how many such incidents on US side?

Quote:
The MoD covered up every fratricide incident in the Falklands (ten British soldiers were killed) until they were pressured by a British newspaper in 1986. High speed commo will stop many of these lash-ups; it is now possible for a soldier to leak anonymous tips to anyone worldwide, within seconds.
Ten killed it seems not much for such a large operation.

Quote:
Yes, and we know that the Allied top ace, Ivan Kozhedub, shot down two Mustangs in quick succession. Those were not added to his official tally of 62 confirmed victories. . .
This incident seems not to be confirmed, at least in the way it was portrayed. Also, it was already mentioned on this board that Kozhedub's score is 63 and not 62.