View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:25
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: Stanislaw, Skalski

I believe that Horbaczewski shaves it because his claims in 1944 all seem to be confirmable (even those on his last flight). Certainly within the criteria that for every 3 claimed at least one or two were genuine. As I alluded to earlier it'll be interesting what the Shores book states about his victories with 43 Squadron. It all revolves around the victories with the PFT and 43 Squadron. His claim accuracy does seem above average.

Skaski's and Urbanowicz's victories in 1940 have to be considered within the context of the Battle of Britain when overclaiming was very high, especially within 303 Squadron (a consequence of their aggessive attacking at close range and a form of "tunnel vision" when confronted by a Swastika with wings.

The victories in 1941 and 1942 of Skalski and Horbaczewski were very loosely verified. Urbanowicz's in China are difficult to verify because of the paucity of Japanese records.

What I would say is that all three had above average skill and aggression and even within the hyperbole offered by fighter pilots in general, they stand out as determined and brave "scrappers".

- by the way before I get lambasted for anti-Polish bias I should state that my wife is from piekary śląskie and my children are half Polish...and my University dissertation was on "Poland in the Silver Age" .... a roller-coaster of emotion with nasty rumours of Catherine the Great thrown in for good measure

regards

Keith