View Single Post
Old 9th August 2010, 20:27
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Bombing of Guernica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Nick, I know two US authors who are also retired career US military: David Glantz (yes, that one) and Henrik Lunde (ex-SF, Vietnam vet, Norwegian by birth, author of the recent book on the Norwegian campaign of 1940)). Care to know what do they think about Hussein Obama? Yes, the word used by Sylvester is apt. And how does the naval aviation author Barrett Tillman feel about Obama? Ditto. And you will find it pretty hard time to label these 3 people as stauch NS men. But all 3 are ardent supporters of the 2nd amendment, i.e. pro-gun. And that is apparently what drives a Briton, especially supporters of Tony Gungrabber Blair, nuts.

And as for the legality of German units being in Spain in the first place, well, their legality was just as legal as the presence of British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan today.
How many times can you miss the point in a single post? Nothing whatsoever that you have written offers a legal or moral justification of German intervention in the Spanish Civil War (the topic of this post).

I really don't care who in the USA agrees or disagrees with their incumbent President, that's their democratic right. Had you read managed to read my post to the end you might have understood that what I found so revealing of SS's worldview was his need to account for an unpalatable election result by conjuring up some intrinsically implausible "liberal domination" of a US media almost entirely owned by huge capitalist corporations.

You really have a desperately feeble grasp of British public opinion if you think Americans' attachment to guns drives anyone here nuts. Many are bemused by the importance Americans attach to the issue but that's all. And do you seriously imagine that Tony Blair's reputation in Britain, good or bad, rests on gun control laws? Amazing!

Nor should you imagine that involvement in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars has enjoyed universal support in Britain or — to get back on topic — that either offers retrospective justification of Nazi aggression in Spain.