View Single Post
Old 30th November 2019, 15:05
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: AUTOSYN INDICATOR PLATE

I don’t think you will be able to trace the plate you have to any particular plane. I doubt that records were kept, (or if kept, would still exist) that would connect the serial number of an instrument to the serial number of a plane. Certainly, engine serial numbers and gun serial numbers were “connected”, as we see in MACRs.

We may be able to say that it was in a “B-17” or in a 4 engine plane, but I don’t think we are there yet.

The Air and Space museum has several Bendix Autosyn parts in its collection, and it is possible to get some clues as to how Bendix labeled parts by looking at a few examples.
This links to 7 views of a part.
https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...pressure-c-14a
You can download any view and enlarge it on your computer. If we do this for view 3, we can read the label, which turns out to be 6007-14E-7-A. View 1 shows the dial, which has indicators for the fuel pressure of a left and right engine. Thus, this would appear to be a fuel pressure indicator for a twin-engine plane.

Another part: https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...osyn-dual-e-10
This one is for a tachometer. View 2 shows the dial (with Left and Right indicators). View 3 can be downloaded and enlarged to read the data plate, which is 6007-28C-7-A. So, we have a tachometer for a twin-engine plane.

I have seen Bendix parts with needle indicators labeled 1 and 2 in one instrument face and indicators 3 and 4 in a second “identical” face. Those two parts together would be for a 4-engine plane.

While one “theory” on how Bendix labeled parts would suggest the first 4 digits indicated a particular purpose (e.g. Pressure, Temperature, etc., the fact that we see “6007” on both of our examples, one a pressure indicator and one a tachometer, suggests that theory is incorrect. In face, I think the 5907 was used for "single" indicators and "6007" was used for duel indicators.

With the second indicator, being 14E in the first case and 28C in the second, it would appear that it does not indicate particular plane. Thus, the 17B in your case may not indicate a “B-17”.