View Single Post
Old 24th January 2020, 01:26
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: German Navy Fokker D.VII

Doh

Terrible mistakes all over....

The book "The Jasta Pilots" have a separate chapter with regard to the Marine Jasta Pilots. So looking in the right place, both Baum and Engelfried are mentioned.

Since Engelfried obviously was an ace, he is mentioned in the "ace" book "Over the lines" as making a force landing in Holland 15 Oct 1918 and since he scored again on the 26th he was obviously not interned by the Dutch.

The book is much more silent regarding Baum since he is only listed as being in the same unit as Engelfried, and interned in Holland 15 Oct 1918. Nothing else.

Since I still believe we only had one force landing in Holland 15 Oct I am still thinking these two persons have to be one and the same.

I just can't buy that the Dutch covered up one landing, because the only solution to such a problem would be that Engelfried landed in his Fokker 5584 and was allowed to take off and return while Baum in 5288 was interned and his Fokker kept. This then immediately clash with the official Dutch listing that it was D.5584 that became their F227.
To make sure things then fit, we have to ensure that Engelfried instead was in 5288 and Baum in 5584.

Things are much easier if Baum and Engelfried are one and the same guy...

Cheers
Stig