View Single Post
Old 19th January 2012, 21:07
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Georg Schneider 3/JG21 StaffelKapitan

Julian,

We carry this loss in the EoE Luft loss DB as:

"June 27, 1940: 3./JG21 Messerschmitt Bf109E-1. Shot down by return fire during attack on No.82 Squadron Blenheim and crashed north-east of Zeist 3.20 p.m. FF Oberlt Georg Schneider (Staffelkapitän) killed. Aircraft Yellow 1 + 100% write-off."

I have a poor quality photo of his Yellow 1 in our EoE Photo DB, as part of a line up of fighters from his unit (3./JG21), probably taken about April, 1940, at Mönchengladbach AF Germany. It carries the StaKap pennant on the radio mast. It was shared with me by someone else, so I can't provide a copy without getting their permission, but this can probably be accomplished if this is important. Based on the markings and unit insignia carried by this unit, it could well be both the same a/c, carrying the same markings and camouflage carried on his a/c the day he was shot down. This a/c would have had to have survived the Western Campaign, but this is certainly possible. You'll note in our loss entry that there is no reported W.Nr., as these were not generally documented in Luftwaffe records at this early date.

His StaKap a/c in 1939 is well known from a different photo, and has been documented with a photo and two different color profiles, but I don't think that you're interested in that one.

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 19th January 2012 at 21:52.