View Single Post
Old 12th March 2024, 17:26

brewerjerry
Re: Handley Page Halifax in Luftwaffe service?

Hi
in that old thread i linked to

"As posted on Luftwaffe Experten Message Board

"I remember one morning a British Halifax coming back from Italy landed by mistake on our airfiled [Théville, Normandy, France]. The crew was surprised when seeing german soldiers and more when looking at victory bars on Schnell's plane rudder. These airmen (...) belong to N°35Sq who made an important attack on Torino. (...). F/O Williams lands his machine (...) in ennemy territory. So JG 2 is able to capture seven airmen and to give a Halifax in perfect state to Rechlin test center. Three Wellingtons are lost this 10 to 11 September [1941] night and the famous Halifax TL-R intact is the only 4-engines plane not to go back in England"

E. MOMBEECK ; J.L. ROBA : "Histoire de la JG 2 Richthofen" Vol.2 p.171 (La Porte d'Hove, 2008)

I find that the only missing aircraft was L9566, described as crashlanded in France, navigational error. Given all that has been published on the Rechlin trials of Allied aircraft, I find the suggestion that there was a Halifax there as well somewhat surprising. "

i wonder what happened to it

Beuteauswertung Nr22, has a couple of pages on halifaxes, one page has three photos of a bellylanded Halifax V, they only show nose, tail and mid upper ( which might show some damage), from this I think it is apparent it would need repairs for it to fly.
The date of the report is 1 sep 43, previous issue 5 aug 43, so presumably a/c crashed in between these dates.

cheers
jerry