View Single Post
Old 31st January 2009, 02:49

CH53Driver is on a distinguished road
Re: F4U-4 in action in Okinawa, 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocee View Post
Three Marine squadrons flew the F4U-4 in combat on Okinawa, VMFs 212, 222 and 223. All were part of MAG14 and received the new fighters at Guiuan, Samar in May. They were flown to Kadena in early June.

George Kernahan
Hmmm, this is interesting. I just got an email from my buddy who served on Okinawa with one of the squadrons and this is what he sent me in regards to the original question:

"MAG-31 with 3 Squadrons , VMF 311 Helles Belles,VMF-312 Checkerboards, VMF 314 All with F4U-1C Corsairs. 1St Lt Klingman was famous from VMF 312 for climbing to 38,000 Ft where his guns were frozen & he closed in on a KI 45 Nick twin engine fighter on a photo mission. Chewed off the tail section. The Japanese Gunner had the frozen gun problem also. He was facing Klingman frantically trying to fire his gun when the plane dove in with no tail section. Klingman had a rough flight back to Kadena since the prop was all out of balance. I saw the plane after he landed."