View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:37

olefebvre
Re: Late-war Bf 109 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyraider3D
Thanks, I understand that R6 on the G-10 does not mean gunpods. I was confused with the G-6/R6.

I know few 109s still used gunpods in 1945. Let alone 109s in green-brown camo. The veteran is very clear in his description about the wing cannon, though. He saw the gun smoke travel over the wings as the 109 flew straight at him. This makes sense for the 20mm gunpods, as the barrel extends in front of the wing. Because of the aerodynamics over a wing, the smoke from the cannon barrel will indeed travel over the top of the wing (opposed to a buried cannon where smoke would travel on both sides of the wing).

What unit could possibly be using gunpods at this point in the war? Could it be an operational training or a nightfighting unit (explaining the dark camo colours)?
Argghhhhhhhh /R6 always means adverse weather equipment Ronnie. The Rüstsatz were never assigned a /R designation and never modified the a/c name

Ronnie check the NAGr 5 a/c i mentionned in an email, this one was heavily mottled with 83 paint and appear quite brown. It might be the same kind of camo which was applied to your a/c.

Another solution altogether would be that rather than a Gustav he encountered a Dora.