View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 00:54

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Re: Late-war Bf 109 question

Thanks everyone for all the help on-board and off-board.

Assuming Bill Lyons indeed shot down a Bf 109 (he said it had a birdcage canopy, which excludes a Fw 190 and guncam would have confirmed the 109 too) I think we have a fairly certain match in Werkenr. 491292 flown by Fw. Wilhelm Gärtner. The crash location is in the vicinity of Burg bei Magdeburg. To further support this, the cause and location of Gärtner's crash were originally unknown.

I asked him for a more accurate description of the location and he said it was west or north-west of Magdeburg, heading south. The attack came from the east or southeast and it's not unlikely the pilot tried to escape in the direction he came from. This would lead him to Burg bei Magdeburg. I also asked him if the encounter was a seperate event or not. He said it was a completely seperate event with only Yellow 3 (Moroney) and himself involved with the 109. Yellow 1 and 2 broke left and disappeared. A short time after Lyons shot down the 109 he could here indistinct chatter over the radio. Later it turned out there had been a large air battle more to the east and south of Magdeburg.

Here is a spreadsheet I compiled of all Bf 109 losses I could find (many thanks for the help guys!) for 9 Feb 1945. Only the JG 300 losses were in the vicinity of Magdeburg.

Below I have plotted all the JG 300 Messerschmitt 109 losses for 9 February 1945. Red = KIA, Orange = WIA.

I think on the data we have so far Gärtner is indeed the most likely victim of the encounter with Lyons.

Again, thanks everyone for the help!

Now if somebody happens to have a photo of Werkenr. 491292........?

PS. Oli, you did mention the NAGr 5 a/c but I think you forgot to attach the photo, which you refer to in the e-mail. I forgot to ask you about this