View Single Post
Old 6th August 2005, 01:10
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
9. Staffel/Jagdgeschwader 26 Photo Book is Out

Hi,

Received my copy from Schiffer this week of the new book "9. Staffel/Jagdgeschwader 26: The Battle of Britain Photo Album of Luftwaffe Bf 109 Pilot Willy Fronhöfer," compiled by John Vasco. It is an excellent photo collection on the very specific subject of this one Staffel, with all photos taken during the spring and summer of 1940 up to the date of Fronhöfer's shoot down and capture in England on 31.8.40. John persuaded the "Battle of Britain Museum," Hawkinge, who holds a set of negatives of this album, to make these available for publication. The compiler's proceeds from the sale benefit the museum for its operations.

The reproduction quality of the large-size photos is excellent, although John specifically avoided attempting to write captions for the collection. Among the gems are a series of photos of four crash-landed 109Es, which I think show most or possibly all the planes that ran out of gas and crash landed near Le Havre, France, on 21.7.40; unfortunately, pilots names not reported. These are Yellow 3, 8, 9 and 12. There is another photo that shows more of the port-side markings than previously illustrated of the Staffel Kap., Oblt. Gerhard Schöpfel's famous and often published 109E "Yellow 1," and the predecessor aircraft to that one, probably taken in early spring. Another gem is the replacement "Yellow 3," with photos showing both a standard 1940, and a somewhat later heavily-mottled camouflage (they may be the same a/c). I think that this is the 109 that the new St. Kap., Oblt. Heinz Ebeling. ditched in the channel on the same day that Fronhöfer was captured, 31.8.40.

Besides aircraft, it appears that virtually all of the 9./JG 26 pilots of the period, and many members of the ground crews and unit staff are shown in the collection, both in group photos, and photos of the day-to-day life of the Staffel.

I'm sure that many members of this board will be receiving a copy of this book over the next couple of months, and I would like to purpose that Ruy makes this a sticky FAC and that anyone with captioning information or photos relating to this Staffel during this period, post them, in an effort to create a comprehensive set of captions to this excellent photo collection. I'd certainly be willing to provide what I know, and my speculations as to the identities of many of the personnel in the photos.

Any support for this idea?