Thread: ors files?
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2010, 00:50

Icare9 is on a distinguished road
Re: ors files?

I'm way out of my depth here as this has obviously been the subject of exhaustive and in depth research by both German and British experts.

I came in because of my involvement with HR732 Halifax loss during the Leipzig operation Dec 44 which has some similarities.

Can it be confirmed whether night fighters DIDN'T use tracer in order not to give away their position? If that is correct, then the only source of air to air tracer as seen by other aircraft must be from another bomber.

Do you know for sure whether LM472 came down as large pieces of wreckage (indicating some heavy damage) or as pieces widely scattered (indicating a mid air explosion)?

Some reports say it exploded at 10,000 feet, others that it was flying at low altitude (and not just flaming wreckage falling). If the fuel tanks had exploded, most likely the wing(s) would have failed or at least large segments lost, but the fuselage may have stayed fairly intact together with its bomb load. It would seem that some of the crew could have had time to bale out, especially if the order to "Abandon aircraft" had been given. For them to have stayed with the plane (except for Knight who seems to have been blown or thrown clear) from 17,000 to 10,000 feet seems unusual unless the plane was out of control or that they were violently trying to avoid a fighter attack.

That's all I can say, based on hopefully some logical assessment of the case. I'll have to leave it to the experts to see if any answers are available, but so long after the event it may be that the actual details will not be discovered.

Whatever, they were brave men doing their duty for their Country.