View Single Post
Old 10th May 2018, 21:53

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Re: Soviet - Finnish air war question for 1941

Privet!

Short answer: NO.

I take your "Lake Samyozero" is Säämäjärvi.

German-Finnish operation area border in North was approximately Oulu - Sorokka (Belomorsk) line.

Finnish III AK (Army Corps) was subordinated to Germans and was supported by Luftwaffe in Kiestinki (Kestenga) area. But that was north of the operation area border.

Southern part of Lake Ladoga was German operation area. Leningrad was "no-go" area for Finnish Air Force without express orders.

Germans and Finns mostly cared only for their own particular "businesses". In my opinion co-operation was loose even in the best cases.

Of type recognition in general. I believe that number of engines usually is correctly reported. Everything above that is susceptible. There has been even errors in radial/in-line engine recognition.

Cheers,
Kari

PS
Glimpsed some books.

Battles between lakes Ladoga and Samyozero were fought in August 1941. Most likely the "messers" were Morane 406 of LLv 28. It transferred to Karkunranta (Lunkula) August 19, 1941. See also this Finnish site: http://www.sotahistoriallisetkohteet.../view/-/id/736 . It has maps and photos of Lunkula airfield. Google Translate may surprise and return something understandable?

German 163 ID (army infantry) operated North of Samyozero, but AFAIK closest Luftwaffe units were hundreds of kilometers away. Maybe someone can educate me on this?

Last edited by Kari Lumppio; 11th May 2018 at 09:26. Reason: Brain fart