View Single Post
Old 1st February 2013, 18:43

Horst Weber
Re: 09/29/44: Strafing German railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCO View Post
Mike, Hans

Thx for your help.

I checked out the 406th FG and found two remarks, which deal with rail-interdiction end of Sept '44, however the area is too far south from us.

"The end of September ...was devoted to isolation and interdiction of the area between the Saar and the Moselle. The marshaling yards at Saarburg, Zabern, Merzig, to name only a few the full weight of the Group's attack on many days. A program of constantly policing the rails for movement and limiting that movement by strategic cutting of the principal rail lines was undertaken by the command and successfully executed."

"As September drew to a close, Third Army reached the Moselle and
the Group began to work on the first interdiction campaign of Alsace-Lorraine, running many missions on the marshaling yards at Saarbruken, Zabern, Saarburg and many other key rail centers."

I am pretty sure that it were fighter-bombers of the 9. USAAF.
Any idea regarding other FG, which operated from France or Belgium at that time?

Regards,
TCO
Good evening !

At this day, 9th AF fighters and fighter-bombers had more then 1500 combat sorties to targets in the Western ETO. My guess would be a FG/FS of IX Tactical Air Command (TAC) (70th, 71st and 84th Fighter Wing).

best wishes !

Horst Weber