View Single Post
Old 7th January 2005, 04:08

George Hopp
He 219 and the DB 603G

Thank you, Seaplanes, for that valuable information. As I went through the English version of Remp's He 219 book, I found reference to the two engine types you mention--the 603AA and 603E, on pg. 104: "According to a message from the RLM GL/C/B2 (no date given), the DB 603 AA powerplant was no longer adequate for production of the He 219 A-2. Effective immediately, this version was to be equipped with the DB 603 E, resulting in the designation He 219 A-7." But then on pg. 110, Remp changes his mind and says: "Now, in January 1945, production of the A-7 finally began, although with the DB 603 G." One would think the book had been written by a committee.

And, to you, Artie, I owe a sincere apology for doubting the information you gave regarding the type of He 219 produced in January 1945. With that apology shall go a steak dinner when we have the opportunity to meet again. In my humble defence, I can say only that I thought you were ragging me because of my adversion to the mention of the use of the 603G with any kind of a/c since that engine never entered production. So, it's become a bit of a red rag to me. Anyway, I do apologize. But, what plants produced such a large number of He 219s in one month?

All the best,
George