Thread: BBC Broadcast
View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:23

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: BBC Broadcast

Steve

I once emailed BBC Archives to find out more about the BBC role in:-
i) August 1940 Radio Countermeasures (RCM) and
ii) deliberate interference with our British wireless transmitters, including the switching off of Wireless Transmitters, which both severely hampered Bomber Command crews attempts to navigate, either in getting navigational bearings, or getting additional bearings on wireless transmitters, when returning to this country from Op's (sometimes with fatal results).

In August 1940 the BBC were already sitting on the RCM Committee with Dowding the Fighter Command C-in-C held at Whitehall, but they don't seem to want to discuss it, or their involvement!

The BBC simply failed to respond.

I found a little RCM Memo note dated 16.8.1940 saying to the effect that when Bomber Command who use wireless extensively, find out how far Fighter Command's initial involvment with RCM had reached, Bomber Command will not be too pleased. The writer of the memo goes on to state that we will need to bring the two sides [Fighter and Bomber Command] who have opposing interests, together.

The memo suggests that Bomber Command had little idea of the effects that British RCM was already having, relating to the navigation of our Bomber aircraft.

Mark

Last edited by Observer1940; 3rd January 2013 at 12:59.