View Single Post
Old 7th January 2012, 21:09

Hellfromheaven is on a distinguished road
Information needed on Spitfire MK1B 'cannon wing'

Hello everyone,
Im trying to find some hard information on the fate of the the first 20mm cannon equipped Spitfires. So far i have established from texts that there were 30 of these machines 'put together' (modified from existing mk1s) and put into service, although i cannot verify that this is the exact number or just a rounded estimate. I have records of 23 of these Aircraft and i have a rough history for each one which i will pop in a new post below this one. My problem is that if there were more than 23 produced, what are the serial numbers of the ones i haven't found, and what happened to them?

I am doing some research into a Spitfire crash local to me. I still cant find ANY information on the aircraft itself (serial number, unit, pilot ect). I have eye whitness accounts and i know roughly where the aircraft came down. The pilot bailed out and was described as having an 'unusual accent'.

My only lead is the local rumour that it was one of the first Spitfires to be eqipped with 20mm cannons, hence my search for the fate of these machines. None of the ones i have traced so far fit the profile for this crash so i've hit a bit of a wall on this one.

Of course, it may just be rumour that it was a 20mm Spit! but i have to start somewhere! I hope someone can help!