View Single Post
Old 18th October 2020, 13:58
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stunning German Photo Album

Hi Stig,

Well yes, both the B.II & B.III have the type of tail featured on the D types. However, if you recall the thread when we touched upon the Halberstadt Fokker, early Halberstadt aircraft were a bit prone to borrowing elements from other aircraft, specificically the Fokker M.10. Perhaps german commercial lawyers were a bit less litigious than their anglo-saxon counterparts?

With regard to the numbers on the Rumplers, for what ever reason either the Bestellnummer has been amended to reflect the large number on the fuselage or vice versa - not that this accounts for the /18 which is the really puzzling element to my mind. Looking at the fuselage crosses this doesn't appear to have occured in 1918 which would at least account for the /18. Is there any case for asking Kees if he's seen anything like this before? Were it not for the /18 it is tempting to wonder if the 13,14 etc don't represent the final two digits of the original Bestellnummer.A rather remote possibility but could the aircraft be 1918 built Rumpler C.I whose actual number is ??13/18 and ??14/18 for example from the C.I (Mark) batch C.3000/18 to 3149/18? Edit but having said that the fuselage cross wouldn't fit. I should try and avoid stream of conscious thinking. I've just looked at a photo of C.I (Mark) 3042/18 in Propeller Blatt 8 P.291 and it has the 'new' type of Baalkenkreuz.

Regards,

Clint