View Single Post
Old 29th August 2016, 17:08
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Danish Pilot Peter Horn - aircraft info wanted

Brian

I believe you have a very valid point. At least in Scandinavia there was both a general fear of not only communism but also the increasing power of Soviet Union as such.

Without going into a lot of political details, I think it is rather safe to say that most individuals who joined the Military ranks at this point in time were more right wing than left wing in their views (you always find exceptions of course).

For such individuals it is easy to fall for propaganda talks from 'strong' leaders who are more emotional than truthful, hence the large numbers who in fact listened and also believed what the German propaganda was saying. During the 1930s it was legio to learn German in Sweden, but not necessarily English.

With the invasion in 1939 of Finland by Soviet Union large number of individuals including members of the Government was both apalled and outraged. In Sweden it was very easy to side with Finland and practically everyone who could tried to help in one way or another. So yes in 1939 it was very acceptable to go to Finland and fight for the 'right' cause.

Sweden, luckily, escaped the horrors of WW 2 and those persons who later joined various SS fractions (even those serving with the tarnished Einsatzkommandon on the Eastern Front) were never punished when they returned. However the situation in Denmark and Norway became very, very different after April 1940. Germany was now the invader and regardless what their main aim was, any fighting for them (the enemy ment nothing any more), ment they had become traitors and were treated like that when they got back. And of course in 1945 it was payback time.

Both Poul Sommer and Peter Horn must have paid heavily for their sins, but unfortunately (both in Denmark and Norway) this punishment went on to include also their children and grandchildren, which in my mind was (and is) very wrong. In my world there is no inherent sin. I also think we have to try and see the now living relatives of Peter Horn in that light and accept their decision.

B Rgds
Stig