View Single Post
Old 20th August 2006, 11:46
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf 109E rate of roll

Hello George
The metal ailerons were a vast improvement. From Quill's Spitfire. A Test Pilot's Story. Arrow Books (1990) p. 182.
When he flew a Spit R6718 with metal skinned ailerons first time on 7 Nov 40 "...they changed the situation in the most spectacular way, being much lighter at the top end of the speed range without any loss of effectiveness at low or medium speeds. The aeroplane was transformed..." at Farnborough "where it was flown by Willy Wilson (OC Aerodynamics Flight) and Roly Falk and they reported a 'vast improvement on anything so far tested'; 'excellent control'..."

What bothers me is the big difference in low and medium speeds on the 3rd graph between the curve of Spitfire (original) and the added curve of Spitfire1a. From Quill and other sources I have gathered that the metal skinned ailerons improved vastly the rate of roll of Spit at high speeds but I cannot remember any reports where there has been claims on vast improvements at low or even medium speeds. I don't have time to check Morgan's & Shacklady's Spit tome.

So I have doubts on the curve of Spitfire 1a and because of that I would not place too much confidence on the curve of Bf 109E4 either. It might be OK but I would like to see some confirmation on its authenticity.

Juha