View Single Post
Old 31st July 2015, 12:13
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Alden Rigby

Tom,
Some years ago Alden Rigby approached the American Fighter Aces Association to request that his two shares on January 1, 1945 be changed to full credit. The AFAA VCB did so. His attempts to get the USAF to make a similar change have failed. In reading his combat report for January 1, 1945, it is obvious to me that he did not in fact share those two victories. His combat report gives half credit to an unknown P-47 pilot in one case, and to an unknown P-51 pilot in the other. From his description, in both cases, I would conclude that both unknown pilots managed only minor damage to the corresponding German aircraft. In one case, from memory, he says that the American pilot got a hit, or hits, in the wing tip. None of the P-47 or P-51 claims at that airfield are for shared kills, or even for damage. I think in both cases, if Alden had claimed full credit for the destruction, with damaged credit to the unknown pilots, he would have been awarded full credit.

Unfortunately for Alden, the USAF takes the view that they are unwilling to change the credits that were claimed and awarded at that time.

Enjoy!

Frank.