View Single Post
Old 19th October 2009, 19:07
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
New Fw190 wreck found...info needed on loss

HIi guys,

A friend of mine is recovering a Fw190 wreck in Latvia...so far a lot of items have been recovered, but the wreck is in a bog 6 feet deep.

The 190 crashed in August 1944, flying alone and burning. Sadly, the parachute was found in the wreck. He was flying to the direction of Cesis (Wenden), which was near a JG54 airfield. I do have a map of where the crash is located, but do not want to post it as the wreck is still being recovered.

Eyewitness say that this was the only airplane seen that day. They saw the smoke trailing the aircraft…and she flew alone (no Russian or other German aircraft were in the area). Suspected it was downed by anti-aircraft fire. She flew in a North-West direction, straight toward Cesis (Wenden), then turned 180 degrees and crashed. We are suspecting the 180 degree turn was due to another FlaK hit. The wreck was found just east of Ergli, Latvia.

We "think" it was the aircraft of Horst Adameit from 1/JG54, as it matches the direction, battle, time and distance. However, it was equipped with the FuG16, MG151's and Mg131's…which is normal for an A-7/A-8…while Horst's was an A-5 (W. Nr. 155960). Do not recall if the A-5 was equipped with this...

Info on the prop Hub indicates:

Sach.Nr. 9-12067
Verwendbar fGr. 9-12067
12153A

Which I also think is for the later series...

The crash happened between August 7th and 18th ...

Does anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

Thanks!