View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:32

Bookman is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 77, Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert passed away

He often attended our JG.27 veterans reunions, as he served after being transferred from JG.77. His personality somehow did not please his superior(s) there. His expression was "Ich war immer ein 'sunny boy'". He was photographed in agfacolor on the cover of a 1943 edition of "Die Wehrmacht" a photograph often reproduced. Again photographed in an edition of "Der Adler" during the fighting in Italy, with a fighter unit. Rejoining the Bundesluftwaffe, he was again photographed in color on the cover of "Flug Revue", with new airmen of his unit , during a pre-flight briefing, beside his aircraft. The caption referred to him as a former staffelkapitan of JG. 27. Former Bundeswehr airmen wrote remeniscences of him after his passing. Most notable was when arriving for first posting to his unit, a pilot noticed a figure on the ground firing at him (he thought) shortly before landing. It was Reinert, shooting away at geese who may have endangered the aircraft by bird strike. He also flew with his wingman (Zeno Bauml) in the rear compartment of his 109 during a retreat when he shot down a British Grumman Martlet. A post landing photograph exists of Bauml energetically relating the incident, can't find my copy but it was published somewhere. His degree was as a "Naturopath" and I did have a consultation with him, a very knowledgeable and earnest Doctor.
As for the Macchi use in JG.77, the former adjutant Fritz Broschaitis (nicknamed bronchitis!) related the use of that aircraft but the men we spoke to (at reunions) admired the aircraft, but NOT the throttle, which was the reverse of the usual, i.e. Forward was to retard the throttle, and rearward accelerated it. Most of the men I spoke to did fly it, but we're not forced to if uncomfortable with it. While the workmanship was praised, the spare parts availability was certainly not. Broschaitis was also in JG. 27, and later in the Bundesluftwaffe, a friend of Reinert there as well as in wartime. If memory serves me well, Reinert did fly the Macchi, but not much. His contemporaries spoke of him as a 'natural' flyer, a very high compliment.