View Single Post
Old 28th December 2018, 18:02

Luc Vervoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: RAF Bomber gunner claim during the night 5-6/07/1941 over Belgium

Dear David and Marcel,

Many thanks for the additional info you kindly supplied. Sorry for delay in replying – a part of my wifi-network went on holiday and I have now partly wired wifi…

The claim of the RAF reargunner has to be ‘damaged’ not ‘destroyed’.

As far as I could find back the British time zone was in July 1941 the same as the German one (UTC + 2).

This gives for R1451 :
The air distance between Alkmaar and East Wretham is approx. 267 km. This distance can be covered by a Wellington in 1 hour.
The air distance between Alkmaar and Gruitrode is approx.180 km. Can this distance be covered by a Bf110 in approx. ½ hour (approx 360 km/hour) ?

This gives for R1532 :
The indication of the time at the RAF side doesn’t match with the time mentioned from the German side.
The air distance between the Dutch coast and East Wretham is at least approx.220 km. This distance can be covered by a Wellington in 1 hour.
The air distance between the Dutch coast and Gruitrode is at least approx.140 km. How long would be required by a Bf110 to cover this distance ? 20 minutes ? The soonest the Bf110 could have been at Gruitrode is 3h45 – 4h00 = ?

No additional details are available for Z6555 of 78 Squadron.

If the above calculations are correct the reargunner of R1532 can be removed from the list, with only 2 remaining.

Looking forward to receive your comments.

Best wishes for 2019

Luc