View Single Post
Old 14th September 2005, 22:53

pointedeflèche is on a distinguished road
RAF claims, 18.05.1940

Hello,

I'm looking for RAF claims on 18.05.1940 in the Brussels area. I'm eager to learn which RAF squadrons intercepted KG 4 near Brussels that day, resulting in the loss of the following 3 Heinkels 111of KG 4:
  • He111P of 2/KG4 (5J+IK) flown by Lt Helmut Zeiss shot down by 4 Hurricanes west of Brussels and crashed 6 miles n-e of Louvain
  • He111P of 5/KG4 flown by Staffelkapitän Hptm Kurt Leythäuser shot down s-e of Brussels and crash-landed 6 m west of Louvain.
  • He111P of 5/KG4 flown by Lt Hoepel shot down near Brussels and crash-landed near Beauvechain, 6 m s-w of Tirlemont.
Searching the internet, I came across the following two He111 claims:
  • Pilot Officer Yule, Robert Duncan, 145 Sqdn "Yule took part in 145's first action of war on 18 May. On patrol over Brussels twelve He 111's were intercepted in broken cloud. When the German bombers emerged from cover the Hurricanes attacked, Yule shooting one down." http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/aces/yule.htm
  • Squadron Leader Aitkin, The Honourable Max, 601 Sqdn "In May 1940, whilst leading a section of aircraft on patrol over Brussels, this officer attacked one of twelve Heinkel 111s which was finally seen to be losing height with one of its wings on fire with black smoke pouring from the other." NOTE: Public Record Office Air 2/4095 has the original recommendation, prepared about 25 June 1940 which, with additional comments, makes interesting comparison with the above and demonstrates how honours were processed and edited. "On 18 May 1940 Flight Lieutenant Aitken whilst leading a section of the Composite Squadron 601 and 145 on parol over Brussels attacked one of twelve Heinkel 111 aircraft, which was last seen losing height with one plane on fire and the other belching black smoke." http://www.airforce.ca/canraf/CANRAF.A-D.html
Information regarding He111 claims of 601Sqdn, 145 Sqdn and of other Squadrons patroling over Belgium the 18th of May 1940 are most welcome.

Regards,

Dirk