View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2024, 12:15
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Martin Middlebrook, historian, Bomber Command, Great War

He inspired quite a number of "follow-up" Historians and his books (pre-computer time) all well written and researched, with hundreds of contacts with veterans, etc. A fantastic and inspiring work.
When I visited Herr Martin Drewes, here in Brazil, in 1996, he mentioned that he did not know how Middlebrook lived, because one need much much time to go all throughout that DATA and information and surely he (Middlebrook) did not have time for anything else....anyway....Drewes' words....and a Tribute to Middlebrook's RAF books.
His works inspired me to read, research and write my own stories and works. Am sure that others are also in "debt" with the "old man's inspiration".
If memory does not fail me, Leonardo da Vinci wrote a magnificent text, which can fully be applied to Middlebrook and his works/books. It is more or less like that: "May your work be well done, so that it remains after your death."
May your memory and legacy survive and inspire other Historians and Researchers in England and all over the world.
May his Family be proud of what he had done to preserve the RAF and England's History.