View Single Post
Old 10th March 2024, 23:31
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Bf 109 pilot KIA near Schipol - circa Sept/Oct 1941 (quote on "Boldness be my friend" by Richard B. Pape)

I am finishing Richard B. Pape’s “Boldness be my friend”. It is a lovely written book (the author was a journalist before the war); however it seems (from other Forums) that it was not 100% accurate.
https://www.amazon.com.br/Boldness-B.../dp/0755316266
(My edition is the old one)
Pape’s describe an accident that occurred nearby Amsterdam-Schipol, probably between September and October 1941, when he was under the care of the Dutch Underground Resistance and being moved, on page 70 of his memories.
I do quote:
“About 7 miles from Schipol aerodrome, three Messerschmitt fighters were doing low-flying aerobatics. The centre one, showing yellow wing-tips, streaked down on us in the same kind of crazy mock attack that so many British fighter boys gloried in performing despite all Air Ministry instructions to the contrary. The German pilot skimmed across our path with a frightening roar, and then he heaved the joy-stick back too sharply. The nose of the aircraft pulled up almost in the vertical, climbed a short distance and stalled, lost all speed, and nosed straight into the ground. There was an explosion, and a sheet of crimson flame.”
Is there such a LW record that corroborate Pape’s statement? Seems to be some kind of G-lock. It looks like that the pilot was either a Staffelführer or Staffelkapitän.
Adriano