View Single Post
Old 20th October 2012, 19:43
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Where is the rudder on Werner Mölders' a/c shot down with Heinz Asmus on 25.10.40 over England?

Hello,

I'm trying to put together the EoE color profile reference packages for the Bf109s of Maj-Obstlt Werner Mölders for the summer and early fall of 1940. One of his known a/c, W.Nr. 3737, was shot down from high altitude on 25.10.40 with another pilot from the Stab, Hptm. Hans Asmus, flying it. The a/c broke up in the air and showered debris across the countryside. There is a large piece of the fuselage decking still surviving from the crash in the Lashenden Air Warfare Museum. Although the rudder with 49 victory tabs was discovered among the debris, I've never seen or heard that it was subsequently saved. I've been in touch with and visited the museum with the piece of the fuselage, but they know nothing about the lost rudder. It seems to me that such an piece of wreckage, whatever its condition, would have been a prized souvenir and been kept by someone, rather than just being thrown into a scrap dump.

Here is the G-Report on this a/c from the EoE Project records:

"(Hptm Hans Asmus; Stab/JG51 W.Nr. 3737 )
203b.
Me 109. Crashed on 25.10.40 at MAIDSTONE ROAD,, MARDEN. Map ref. R-1762: There were no identification markings on fuselage. Manufacturer's plate was not found. Engine: DB.901 made by Daimler Benz,, Genshageng No.66143. The engine had a large white 'N' stencilled on top of crank case. Following fighter action, pilot baled out at a great height and aircraft broke up in air. The wreckage was distributed over a very wide area. No bullet strikes to be found in wreckage inspected. Armaments 2 20-mm. shell guns and 2 M.G.17's traced. Armour: fuselage bulkhead but none other found. There were 49 so-called "victory" stripes on the tail. A civilian who was near the crash# stated that the airscrew blades were covered with ice when aircraft crashed. Pilot prisoner -injured. (Report #739 P. 2)"

So, does anyone know what happened to this rudder scoreboard? Does it still exist somewhere, perhaps in some private collection?

Who knows about this?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator