View Single Post
Old 21st May 2016, 17:01

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Erich Hartmann: verifiable claims

My suggestion, as it pertains to Hartmann, would be to establish a Hartmann working group comprised of the experts on this forum. We have all of the people required on this forum to finally, and definitely, resolve this matter. Furthermore, we have experts who could structure, document and mediate the effort to ensure maximum accuracy and fairness.

In my mind, the Hartmann issue is a tough one. The pilots of the Luftwaffe knew who the fakers and over-claimers were, and those people were not asked to join the post-WWII German air force. Hartmann was asked to join, and he was well regarded within the Luftwaffe and post war. This alone is definitive evidence in my mind that the issue is far more complex than merely comparing records in Germany and Russia.

In my opinion, the members of this forum have the resources and capability to accurately address this matter in an ethical manner. And we should. (Not 'me' of-course, I'm completely out of my depth, but the usual suspects. Everyone knows who they are.)

Such an effort, one that discloses it's research methodology and principles from the very beginning would be credible, and the work would be historic.

In the end, I don't care what the answer is, I just want the right answer, as I'm sure we all do.

Bronc