View Single Post
Old 26th September 2010, 00:16

JoeB
Re: KPAFAC victories in Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Nole View Post
A small update: A Mustang loss in September 1950. I dont know the complete Bu number.

255(35th FIW, 39th FIS)Damaged by Yak, engine smoking, went into spin, low altitude bail out 10 mi NW of Waegwan, pilot 1th Lt Donald L.Pitchford KIA, Sep 28, 1950(F-51D)
This is in fact reported that way in the monthly unit historical report but it seemed strange since the KPAAF was pretty much non-existent at that time, and no NK propaganda account mentions this victory (all the other victories we've mentioned in the Yak period are mentioned in NK accounts or contemporary Soviet media versions of them, in some form).

Eventually I found the original combat report of this mission and the cause was unknown but likely ground fire, no enemy a/c around: probably a mixup between 'yak' and 'flak' at some point. The a/c was 44-73255, which was formally written off Oct 15.

The RAAF Mustang (44-84501/A68-757) lost July 7 is written up in some US reports as 'Yak'. It occurred at a time when the KPAAF was active, Russian reports of NK accounts say they made 2 claims that day, but the Australian combat report seems clear the loss wasn't due to enemy a/c; and the US intel summary for the day specifically says no enemy a/c were encountered at all. This is less clearcut than the Sept 28 case, but I haven't included it as a KPAAF victory either.

Joe