View Single Post
Old 24th April 2005, 07:23
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Status Update Jagdflliegerverbände Vol 9/I

I think my post on this subject might have been a little misleading. The entire JFV Vol 9 (sections I-III) does not cover just the winter war 1941-42. The post that I made on Feb. 4th, better describes what Dr. Prien has in mind for Vol. 9, with the three separate parts (books):

"As things are right now, Vol. 9 will have to be broken up into three parts, the sheer mass of victory lists bursting the usual frame. 9/I...will deal with the Winterwar 1941 /42 up to April 30th, 1942, whereas 9/II and III will center around the summer offensive 1942 until the defeat at Stalingrad on February 3rd, 1943. As a sort of Appendix in part III we will have to cover JG 5 in Northern Norway and Finland, which had no real connection to the fighting along the rest of the Eastern Front."

I hope that this clarifies things for those of you who missed my original post on this subject.

Regarding the cost of these volumes, yes, they are expensive, especially outside the EU. But these are published in small production runs and, I believe, are being financed by Dr. Prien himself. I'm quite sure that he doesn't make money on these volumes. He once commented to me that the whole JFV series was initially his attempt to organize his very large 109 photo collection. All of us have benefited tremendously from his efforts, and those of the researchers who are working with him on the project. I believe that the series is now scheduled to exceed the 13 Volumes originally planned. We already see that with the subsections being published it could easily exceed 20 separate books. I can assure you that if Dr. Prien wanted to make money, there are many endeavors he could pursue that would be far more lucrative than publishing the JFV series.