View Single Post
Old 28th June 2013, 13:07

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: FAA Korean war losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
I just finished reading a book I got by inter library loan called "With the Carriers in Korea" by John R.L. Landsdown . It deals with RN and RAN carrier operations during the Korean War.. and has information on most/all the FAA aircraft losses during this period. They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald. Just thought this would be of interest to you all.
Hello James,

Thank you for that information, that work fills an interesting gap. On the subject of Korwald's deficiencies, do you know of similar books which cover the losses RAAF and SAAF in the war? I've read books on this conflict from time to time and have always been surprised how incomplete and confused the loss figures are, 60 years after the war. On page 72 of the newly published Osprey Duel book, "F-86 Sabre vs. MiG-15", there is yet another new set of figures on Sabre losses: 224 total, 40 in accidents, 61 operational, 18 AAA, 1 bombing, 78 to MiGs, 14 fuel starvation and 12 failed to return. I haven't checked against other books so far, but I have a distinct feeling that there will be inconsistencies.

Regards,

Paul Thompson