View Single Post
Old 26th June 2020, 04:36

Russell is on a distinguished road
Re: F/O JD Wallis, 451 Sqn

Hi Chaps

Wg Cdr Morris led four Spitfires on 451 Sqns first patrol from Corsica. The form 540 says Wallis shot down the 109. The 541 says Morris attacked aircraft three times. It does not say he hit any. It also says Wallis then shot down a 109. The CR for Wallis is in 451 Appendices, currently free to down load or read from the Nat Archives in London, its on page 494 and 495. Here is the essence of the narrative. He saw four FW 190s, and followed his NO 1 into attack. The No 1 was Morris. Morris reported a single 109 at 5 o'clock to Wallis who did a steep right turn, got on its tail and shot it down. Wallis does not mention any one else shooting at it. The report notes this action was seen by three other pilots, that is the rest of the formation including Morris. I suggest Morris made three attacks on various FW 190s without result, also warned Wallis of the 109 and then watched as Wallis shot down the 109. Thus my biased view is MAW 4 is right as was Frank in not splitting the claim between Wallis and Morris, and Chris got it wrong in Aces High. Having talked to Chris on the phone 12 hours ago I could have mentioned this to him, but I had not seen the posting then. Frank may comment if he wishes.

Apologies for the double post of the incident in the book, a editing error we all missed at the time.

Regards

Russell

Last edited by Russell; 26th June 2020 at 04:38. Reason: added a sentence