View Single Post
Old 30th January 2020, 13:35
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Crash B26 on 11.April 1945 near Cologne

I received a reply from the son of Emory J Koker. He sent a crew photo and his father's discharge papers which I have added to the Google Drive in a new "Crew" folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1QKeLKMxgLXWpu

His father's brother is still alive and may have some more information. Here is the son's e-mail reply.
----------------------------------------------------Start of E-mail-------------------------------------
Hi Rolland,

Yes, my father was Emory J. Koker Jr. In the attached photo, he is on the far right. I'm not sure where in Germany he was shot down; I'll have to dig out the old Western Unions to see if they say anything. As I recall, Jack Hopkins was the pilot and I think our family visited his home in 1967. My father's closest friend was Andy Samar. They kept in touch regularly until Andy passed away in the early 90's, I think.

I believe there are some pictures of a birthday party / reunion for Jack Hopkins that took place some time in the 80's: I'll see what I can find if you wish.

My father service records are still around here somewhere. Maybe they'll have more information on where he was stationed. I'm actually not even sure what plane they flew in. Maybe you can tell from the photo.

Also, as the story goes, my father was in a POW camp for one day and the camp was liberated the next day. He was injured at the time and I don't remember him saying if the rest of the crew was at the same place. Pop was questioned by some SS guy who in the end instructed some officer to have him shot. The officer took my dad in to a back area, motioned for him to keep quiet, then shot a round in to the dirt. The officer told my dad that the Americans were close by and that he (the officer) just wanted to go home.

It is quite possible that I'm mixing up names and after digging through some of the old material, I may have more to offer or maybe have to make corrections.

Are you related to any of the crew? Just wondering.

Please let me know if any of my blathering is helpful or not.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------End of Email-----------

Note that his discharge record on Google Drive says he was a POW at Cologne from April 11 to April 12, so Koker was the crew member held until the 12th.
He also received a Purple Heart and an Air Medal with six Oak Leaf Clusters (indicting completion of 35 missions).

Last edited by RSwank; 30th January 2020 at 17:03.