View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2018, 14:57

Richard Mills is on a distinguished road
Major Kurt Leonhardy Signature ? (Kdr. II./KG 54)

I am hoping that someone can help me identify the signature on the attached from a Luftwaffe Wehrpass dated 05/06/1940.

The Wehrpass seems to of been retrospectively filled in/compiled following his death in action on 19/05/1940 in France.

It seems that II./KG 54 was about to have a change of Gruppenkommandeur on 20/07/1940. The stamp at the bottom says Oberstleutnant, which was crossed out and replaced by 'Major' in handwriting. So they apparently didn’t have time yet to have a new stamp made when this Wehrpass was filled in.

Rudolf Koester is listed as Gruppenkommandeur on 05/06/1940 however, his signature is contained elsewhere in the associated paperwork grouping and it is definalty not his signature.

On that date Kurt Leonhardy was still a Major. The only problem is that he isn't listed as assuming Kommandeur II./KG 54 untill 20/07/1940.

To myself at least, the signature 'looks' like it could be Leonhardy, and I am hoping someone might have an example to compare with, or indeed to offer some help or assistance accordingly.

All help as usual will be very well received.

Regards Richard.