View Single Post
Old 16th April 2020, 15:22
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan
Re: Flt Sgt Jammy Payne 501 Squadron 1940

Alyson

Many thanks for the info on your grandfathers service history and dates for 92 Sqn, 501 Sqn and where he went to after 501 Sqn - This was always a mystery - Yes without a doubt he was one of the oldest fighter pilots at the time.

I think their was always a mystery as to why he only was MiD for Battle of France, his record I believe would indicate at least a DFM should have been made

One of the mysteries Gerry Burke I think wanted to clear up is should he have been on the Battle of Britain roll the dates of qualifying are at least one operational sortie between on a Fighter Sqn between 10 July 1940 – 31 October 1940 - in fact a new name was only added a few days ago

His experience (and maybe age) was obviously the reason he sent to 57 OTU on the 7th July 1940 (just missing the cut off date) as he was needed to train those younger fighter pilots just coming out of training - Especially as he had actual combat experience to pass on

Many Thanks for posting the info and can I ask do you have any access to his log books at the time?

Kind Regards

Paul