View Single Post
Old 17th August 2010, 19:12

Greg B is on a distinguished road
Peter Walley 615 Sgn, Kenley.

I am trying to help locate any surviving members or distant relatives of flight sergeant Peter Walley, 615 Sqn.

Peter was shot down on August 18th 1940, his hurricane crashing into Morden Park, Surrey. My father, then just an 11 year old boy watched in amazement from his rear garden as a hurricane passed just a couple of hundred feet over the top of his house engine still running, he ran to Morden Park to find the hurricane on fire and sadly Peter already dead. They think he could have bailed out earlier but he wanted to avoid his aircraft crashing into a residential area.

Tomorrow will be 70 years , my father is still alive and tomorrow we will visit Peters grave in Church Road Cemetery, Whyteleafe, near Kenley to place a wreath in in memory of him and his bravery.

Where he crashed now sits Merton Technical College. A commemorative plaque was placed on the wall of the College. For many years and a Mrs Mary J Bain, Peter Walley's cousin, attended commemorative ceremonies arranged by the RAF and held at the College. The College currently holds an album holding information about Peter Walley and they would like to pass this to his relatives if there are any still living.

I would appreciate any help or in fact any information anybody can give me. Either with regard to the family of Peter or what happened on that day in 1940.

Many thanks...