View Single Post
Old 10th August 2023, 18:11

SteveR is on a distinguished road
23 December 1944 MACR 15984

Does anyone have MACR 15984? I can't seem to find it on the NARA website. It should refer to the loss of the 1Lt. Walter P. Garbisch crew of the 1st Pathfinder Squadron (Provisional) on 23 December 1944. I believe the serial number of their B-26 was 44-67881.

I'm trying to find out when and where they were shot down and what their target was.

There's a number of different versions regarding the loss of this crew. To summarize:

Leading the 387th BG to Mayen. I've not been able to find the names of the two Pathfinder crews leading the 387th; one was lost, I think it was the one leading the 2nd Box.

Leading the 397th BG, location not given.

Leading the 397th BG to Ahrweiler. Problem is the the 397th didn't go to Ahrweiler, they went to Eller. From reading the Mission Reports and Mission Folder for the 397th, I believe they had only one Pathfinder, pilot named Dubois (IIRC), and that it wasn't lost.

Leading the 391st BG to Ahrweiler. Yes, the 391st went to Ahrweiler, but their Pathfinder was the Capt. Enoch Longworth crew (shot down).

Perhaps the most confusing info comes from Losses of the US 8th and 9th Air Forces volume 5 by Bishop, Hey, Franken, and Cillessen, which states on page 515: "Thirty B-26s plus two PFF a/c took from Roye/Amy, France to attack railroad viaduct at Ahrweiler, Germany. They flew to St. Vith, Belgium, then to Kinderbeuern about six miles east-north-east of Wittlich and then almost directly north to the T/A. Moderate flak was encountered all the way from St. Hubert to Kinderbeuern, a/c receiving some damage. Weather conditions at Ahrweiler were suitable for visual bombing, and the formations made a second run on the target, encountering intense and accurate flak. The first box of the formation completed its second run but just after the second box made its run a burst of red flak went up to signal the flak batteries to cease fire in order that enemy fighters could attack the formations. Then some 50-75 FW 190s and Me 109s began attacking at 1155 hrs and lasted until 1218 hrs. This B-26 was shot down 0942 hrs by pilot Meindl of JG/1. Sixteen a/c and 911 men were lost, and 12 of the 16 B-26s that returned to base suffered damage by flak, fighters, or both. 7 KIA."

The time discrepancy in that statement stands out - "0942" vs. "1155 - 1218." 1155 to 1218 hours and the rest of the description matches up with the 391st BG attack on Ahrweiler, but 0942 hours and Meindl match the 387th BG attack on Mayen (Obfw. Franz Meindl claimed a B-26 at 0942 hours, location 05 Ost/RO-1 per Prien in JFV 13/V).

Sorry for being so long-winded! Does anyone have MACR 15984 or the names of the Pathfinders leading the 387th BG so I can figure this out?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Last edited by SteveR; 10th August 2023 at 18:55. Reason: Fat fingered