View Single Post
Old 9th October 2017, 08:53
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Carroll Smith questions

Historical Study 85, referenced in Alex' post, was published in 1978, and covered all USAAF aerial claims by fighters in World War 2. Additional Historical Studies covered the claims in WW1, Korea and Vietnam. These four lists were later updated and combined into a single volume with alphabetical and date order listings for each conflict, and published in 1988. This version was later converted into a searchable database and loaded to the Air University website. Later the credits for the various conflicts in the 1990's were added. This website's use apparently was found to exceed the Air University's ability to support it, and was taken down, with, as far as I know, no replacement. While the website was up, corrections were made to it as additional confirmations were found which satisfied the USAFHRA criteria. I do not believe I have ever seen actual copies of HS85 or the 1988 combined version ever offered for sale on the Internet (although since I have copies I do not usually search for them).

Both lists show two victories for Carroll Smith on Jan 13, 1944, which I believe is incorrect. A copy of the mission report for Smith can be found on Maxwell microfilm reel A0801, frame 1197, and a copy of his personal combat report can be found at frame 1213. They show only a single victory. Further, the book on the 418th NFS referenced above by RSwank shows only a single victory. I will email USAFHRA with this information, and post their response when I receive it.

Enjoy!

Frank.