View Single Post
Old 17th May 2015, 15:43

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 30 Incidents/Accidents Spitfire/Hurricane & Others Mostly Summer 1940

Mark,

By now I have had a lot of experience with Form 78s and Form 1180s for the 1939-1940 period. Firstly one has to recall the difficulties of the period, the retreat from France and Norway, the attack on Britain itself and the general peacetime environment in the RAF at the start of the war. By the latter I mean it took time for units to properly record their activities on paper. Most ORBs are deficient up to mid 1940 at least. Some record the weather in great detail but absolutely nothing about their flying activities (training). Many do not record some or all of their aircraft losses or forced landings, even deaths in a few cases. Many units in that first year especially recorded some accidents but not others.

I honestly do not believe that some F.1180s have been withheld. Some may have been lost (Example; only two AASF Battle F.1180s for the period 1 January to 9 May 1940 have survived). I know certain Spitfire F.1180s for 1940 were stolen c.1980/1990s, but am not fully aware of the exact circumstances or losses concerned.

It should be no surprise that some losses were incorrectly classed, considering the sheer quantity of casualties and pressures of the time. Not every inspector was fully trained for the task or sufficiently observant/keen. A great regret and frustration for us, but then I wasn't having bombs dropped around me !

Hope this helps,

Martin.