View Single Post
Old 29th September 2020, 18:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Captured German planes, not from eBay

My first thought was Ju 188 D-2, W.Nr. 290041, F6+DP of 6.(F)/122, a refugee from Italy, which David E. Brown brought to my attention. The fourth fuselage code letter is a "P" (not sure about the third letter, maybe another "P") so it's quite likely from the same Staffel but, the "old" one doesn't have exhaust flame suppressors and it's unlikely that souvenir hunters could have removed those. Nor does the photo I know seem to have the FuG 200 antenna mounted on the port side of the nose. The access ladder isn't apparent in the "old" photo although that could easily have been moved.

The "old" photo (a left rear quarter view) doesn't have any camouflage net draped around the engines and you can't see the fuel tank (or supply container?) under the port wing. Also visible in this latest picture is that the underside of the wing isn't black but the underside of the fuselage is. Note also the overpainted Balkenkreuz under the wing. The rear fuselage paint appears lighter than the "old" photo" but that could just be the angle and stronger daylight. Both this machine and the "old" one have FuG 216 tail warning antennae mounted above the wings.