View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 00:35

sidney is on a distinguished road
Avias B534 with 1. and 2./JG 70?

Dear All,

I have a query on the above subject. The references are mentioned below.

Bob, Trautloft and Held, JG 54: A Photographic History of the Grünherzjäger, a caption on page 54 reads as follows: Herzogenaurach near Nuremberg. The Franconian area was home to the I./JG 70, which became I./JG 54 on 15 September 1939. During the early summer the Gruppe was given task of evaluating Czech-designed Avia planes. The Bf 109 D-1 was also put through its paces by the unit. Preview of the book with the relevant page can be found here http://www.slideshare.net/Wolfsangel...ruenherzjaeger

Another authoritative Reference: Prien, Stemmer and others: Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934-1945, Teil 1, Jagdgeschwader 70, pages 256 and 257, does not mention this detail (i.e., the presence of the Avia B534 aircraft with the I./JG 70). Arguably, not every detail can be covered in the concise reference.

After the exhaustive introduction, I will try to get to the point. Can the above reference to the I./JG 70 evaluating the Avia B534 aircraft be found elsewhere in the literature?

Regards,
Sinisa