View Single Post
Old 4th April 2006, 16:18

Kjetil Aakra
Re: Hugo Dahmer's (1./JG 77) mount Summer 1941

Ah, how I have wondered about this myself!

This is from memory and I will check more at home, but I do not agree at this time that Dahmer's W.Nr. 968 was Yellow 7. As far as I know there's not any photos linking Yellow 7 with the Werkenumer 968 which features very prominently on Dahmer's Emil, clearly visible in several shots of the tailfin/rudder.

Furthermore, Carganico was photographed extensively in and around Yellow 7 when he received his Ritterkreuz on 25. September 1941. I cannot see why this would happen if that was not his aircraft? It si of course possible that Carganico "inherited" Yellow 7 from Dahmer, but as Carganico had a special taste in aircraft (prefering to fly with the early canopy, even on his Bf 109Fs) I think he would prefer having an aircraft of his own.

So for now, I'd say that W.Nr. 968's ID number is unknown, Yellow 7 was flown by Carganico and Yellow (not white) 11 was possibly Dahmer's or another persons aircraft. It may be this aircraft that features in the background of several photographs of I./JG 77 aircrew taken shortly after arrival in the north, that aircraft is clearly makred Yellow 11.

What is certain is that Yellow 7 did carry the "dog in diamond" insignia. I have several profiles prepared of this aircraft throughout its carrer (its camouflage and markings changed in subtle but obvious ways with time and there's a phopto of an aircraft with the dog emblem overpainted, probably after Carganico had received a new aircraft). I'll post the profiles at the AHS disucssion forum soon.

More later,

Kjetil