View Single Post
Old 14th February 2010, 21:02

Pim-Pouw is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Collection WWII Aircraft Instrument Panels and Instruments confiscated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Saunders View Post
It seems from Huub's useful post that insofar as the Netherlands are concerned this must be an open and shut case .
I wouldn't agree with this conclusion. The degree mentioned by Huub Vink : Radiation protection Decree (Besluit Stralingsbescherming) is there to protect employees. An employee works for an employer. An employer can be ofcourse a company but also a foundation with volunteers.

This degree in the case of Radium regulates the following:

- First it is no longer permitted to make new instruments with Radium.

- Second to store them you have to keep the radiation level for your employees within certain limits.

- Third maintenance. This will in our case means opening the radium contained instruments, special regulations are there for this case.

Back to an individual. He doesn't work for an employer so this degree doen's aplly to him and therefore he cannot ask for a permit. Think for example of asbetos. Companies have to comply with strict regulations about how to handle this stuff. An individual with a shed with an asbestos roof plates is not in any violation.

Now back to Liad van Praag. The police said to him : They told me that they will place it in concrete and dump it somewhere and that it can't pass the Dutch border anymore.

So probably he is being charged of transporting dangerous goods across the border. Although this is maybe true for his P51 panel , it isn't for the rest of his collection which he probaly obtained within the Europeen borders.

I am not happy for Liad van Praag. But I am happy that this case is going to apear in court. Once there is an verdict , we as collectors in the Netherlands will finally now what we are dealing with.

my 2 cents on this case,

Pim