View Single Post
Old 15th February 2010, 03:32
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Collection WWII Aircraft Instrument Panels and Instruments confiscated

Question...

Did they have a warrant to enter your apartment? Or did they simply show up, and ask the property owner to let them in?

If no warrant, than here in the US, it is called ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZURE. You would then get the items back, and they would have no case.

I think the comment "burying them in concrete so they not pass the Dutch border", sounds pretty irresponsible. Is it me, or is that a strange way to deal with radium? IF they do that, they have to post a SIGN to everyone who walks over that area that it contains Radioactive Material, and then protect every single person who walks near it...

The fact is, YOU ar the OWNER of those items. I would try to work out a way to save the instruments...come to some sort of agreement to let them be displayed in a museum, but still have them belonging to you....SOMETHING that stps these from becoming destroyed. Tell them you'll accept whatever "charges" they come up with, IF they save the instruments from destruction.

We are talking about HISTORY here...not just personal belongings.

I don't understand why after Customs opened the box and SAW an instrument panel, they came to some conclusion that you were a health risk, and came to your apartment to confiscate things. None of that makes ANY sense.

Usually there has to be some sort of proof and reasoning for them to enter. They should have just sent the panel back to where it came from, or contacted you directly. I do not understand the correlation between, "they guy imported an WW2 instrument Panel"...to "this guy is DANGEROUS, this one instrument panel full of radium must mean he has a FULL apartment of instuments...we MUST confiscate everything he has!!"

...seems very odd.

There is radiation in EVEYRTHING...and smoking kills more people in 1 year...

How many museums HAVE raidum instruments, and DO NOT display signage to indicate such? if they are SOOOOOOOOOO dangerous as they are claiming, why does NO museum warn ALL visiters of potential raidum side-effects if they come to the museum...?

gggggggggrrrrrrrr