View Single Post
Old 13th January 2018, 23:35

newcomer is on a distinguished road
Re: Declining quality of British aviation magazines

Simply, my impression about a most of today aviation articles are looks like read somewhere before. Sometimes it is boring. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my personal impression. From the articles of 70's, 80's and 90's I formed a core of my opinion, most of my knowledge about aviation. Today? Avions and sometimes (but only sometimes) Flypast, and what else? Profile publications in 60's and first half of 70's gave the first impression about most of main types of combat aircraft, from WWI to WWII and then modern planes. Today, Flypast has the color photo of the plane in flight in the same angle on the front page. It is boring. If You ask me what types of aircraft was in the front page on the last two or three Flypast magazine I can't remember now. The same thing occured in the articles. It was uniformed, wrote in the same way. Of course, exceptions always existing, but it is only exceptions. If Flypast or Key publishing aviation magazines put the article about one type of aircraft, the author often ommited some of their foreign users. I'm repeated, maybe I'm wrong, I'm too old, but the aviation magazines in the past were much colorful and more interesting than today despite their technical imperfections.