View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:25

Luftwaffle8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Soviet woman pilot rammed Me-109

Stalin's policy was not to award the HSU for MIA cases because the person could have surrendered or was captured. I am surprised that she received the Order of Lenin posthumously. When Zelenko crashed, the villagers retrieved her body and buried her quickly because the Germans were advancing on their village. Supposedly, a local school teacher took her identification book and document and kept them hidden for 3 years until the Germans retreated. No one could contact the 135 BAP. The day after Zelenko was buried, the Germans arrived in the village.

I thought German ace Anton Hafner shot her down, then this:

Originally Posted by Nokose View Post
No such person as Zelenko and Pavlyk is reported as as killed on that day. The 135 BBAP did report Lt. Nikolay Ivanovich Filinskiy (flight or section commander) and St. Lt. Ivan Pavlovich Sidorenya (AE Adj.) were both listed as KIA in an air battle at Romny.

If Pavlyk did parachute from Zelenko's Su-2 and survived as some sources say, and made it back 3 days later, then why was her commander and her husband still hoping 2 years later that she was still alive? Doesn't make sense. Villagers who supposedly saw the ramming makes no mention of Pavlyk. JG51 had no losses that day.

I found a Soviet document on her, but it is in handwriting which I cannot decipher. I will share it with all of you and will welcome your thoughts. Thank you very much!