View Single Post
Old 16th January 2018, 20:52

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Re: 35 ShAP-KBF losses on 21 June 1944

Hello!

I am sorry that I cannot answer right away because of other workload.

First. 35 ShAP was naval KBF unit and their operational area was Gulf of Finland, coast and sea.

I have gone through most of Finnish AAA unit diaries and do have hazy recollection that indeed 35 ShAP lost some planes 20.-22. June 1944 to "ZA" which matched the diary entries. I never did do systematic research and all my notes are/were with pen on paper. That was back in the golden days of the Sota-arkisto.

13 VA, KBF and II GIAK PVO were the Soviet air assets operating over Karelian Isthmus and it's coastal area.

The 7VA operated over Aunus (Olonets) north of Lake Ladoga. 7 VA units should not be mixed in this theme.

I believe JG 54 fought more inland during this period (16.-21.6.1944) and most of the 999 ShAP Il-2 in 21.6.1944 were IIRC shot down by Quarda's pair (JG 54). A Finnish AAA diary mentions two or three of them. There was also FinnAF claims same time and area.

In the coastal area worked mostly KBF and around the Koivisto Island ("Bjorko" = Björk ö (swedish) = Birch Island) area I think. JG 54 did not go over there? Perhaps on passing. I may be wrong, too.

June 21st was busy day so the puzzle still needs research. If anyone of you does have 13 VA, II GIAK and KBF war diary entries I would be interested. It would be nice to see the overrall air picture above Karelian Isthmus that day. Well, the Finnish side is clear, of course. Germans and Soviets are the "problem" as always.

I wish I had time to devote to researching this or even finding my notes among the mess!

Cheers,
Kari

I think these two TOCH threads belong to the same area and period:

IL-2 vs JG 54
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=8799
(it was confusing me even 10 years ago!)

Death of Helmut Grollmuss
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...ighlight=jg+54
(June 19th, JG 54 covering troops over inland area)