View Single Post
Old 29th November 2012, 16:34

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Sub Lt. J. B. Leeming

Further to my tragic summary of the Downside School crash.

I have found the Devonport Court Martial report released to the press for John Birch Leeming, an Instructor, who pleaded "Guilty" to three charges arising out of the aeroplane accident at Downside School, Somerset on May 15th 1943.

Accused of:-
1. Flying outside a local training area
2. Flying at less than 2,000 ft. without authority or due cause and
3. Flying in the neighbourhood of Downside School in a manner likely to cause accident or annoyance to persons or damage to property.

Leeming was an Instructor who was carrying out an exercise with Sub-Lieutenant A. C. McCracken, a New Zealander, in another aircraft. McCracken's aircraft crashed and he was killed.

A "circumstantial" letter outlined the case for the prosecution stating:-
the aircraft was 4 miles outside the limit of a local training area.

While the cricket match was in progress he flew in a follow my leader exercise with A. C. McCracken a New Zealander at a height between 50 and 100 feet.

His aircraft came over again and the second aircraft following hit the ground, striking the boys.

The prosecution felt that there was enough evidence that Leeming in the leading aeroplane showed wilful disregard for Admiralty Fleet Orders relating to low flying.

Leeming
Leeming had become an instructor at the station on May 12 and immediately demanded a low flying area. He felt that low flying should be taught. No low flying area had yet been allocated, and meanwhile either instructors failed to give pupils low flying practice or broke the rules and hoped for the best. Leeming preferred to take the risk of being reported for low flying so that he might impart his knowledge to his pupils.

Leeming had an extremely good flying record. He was a pupil who became an instructor and was required to take up an appointment for which he had insufficient experience. It was not he who was to blame.

Captain M. S. Thomas described Leeming as a very keen and conscientious officer and a pupil of above average ability. Other Officers also spoke of Leeming's ability.

He was sentenced to be dismissed his ship and severely reprimanded.